Pages

16 January 2012


we went to the saint louis art museum this past week.
this is one of my favorite pieces in the museum.


edgar degas - little dancer of fourteen years.
i just love everything about this piece...
the fabric skirt is amazing.
her features are so detailed...
i looked up this piece online and was shocked to read this,
"When the La Petite Danseuse de Quatorze Ans was shown in Paris at the Sixth Impressionist Exhibition of 1881, it received mixed reviews. The majority of critics were shocked by the piece. They thought it was ugly, that it looked like a medical specimen, in part because Degas exhibited it inside a glass case. Some considered the head and face grotesque and primitive."
- wikipedia

i don't see how anyone could feel that way about this work!
it made me think about creating - i worry WAY tooooo much about how others feel about what i've done.  a negative comment can turn a real sense of satisfaction into dissatisfaction.

i wish i could talk with degas and find out how he felt about all this...
but he's not too handy today.
any thoughts on how you handle this?

 hope you have a wonderful day :)

4 comments:

Sant Family said...

Wow. That is a beautiful piece from Degas. I love his stuff.

I think I've loved everything I've seen you make so while it would be ideal for the satisfaction to come solely from within, you can just call me and I will reassure you that what you made is fantastic!

Unknown said...

I am a huge Degas fan too and I agree with you. I don't know how something so beautiful could inspire criticism like that. But art is subjective and anyone can find fault with anything out there. I think it is in human nature to critique. I also think that what we do as sewers/quilters/crafters is art in my book and that leaves us open to criticism from others, warranted or not. Just remember that it's one person's opinion and that their perception doesn't have to be your reality. As long as you're satisfied that's all that matters.

Juanita said...

I, too, love the sculpture and often struggle with the response of others to my work. The biggest help to me was to learn, and come to believe, that other peoples thoughts and opinions are really non of my business. It sounds harsh at first, but really......it's not my business, and oh so freeing once that reality sets in!
I enjoy your blog and an so often inspired by your creations, keep doing your thing! :)
I "pinned" your heart wreath the other day and had lots of 'repins', so others must love your stuff, too! Have a great day :)

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I thinks she is a beautiful piece too!

I just read something the other day that said, if you take risks, sometimes you'll get standing ovations and sometimes, people will throw tomatoes.

It went on to say, think of any innovator or leader you admire who doesn't have enthusiastic fans aand harsh critics alike.

The person who wrote this is Tara Sophia Mohr.

She said one of the 10 rules for brilliant women is to get a thick skin.

Hope that helps!
Penny