Pages

04 January 2012

valentine's tulle wreath

i have been wanting to make something festive for the front door - down with the
Christmas wreath -
up with the valentine's day one :)

money needed to be minimal on this one, so after being dismayed at how much silk flowers were (even half price), i thought of this idea as i wandered around hobby lobby the other day...

take one wire wreath form:


yes, for $1.99 - well, actually i used my handy dandy 40% off coupon, so it was less than that...


then 3 of these spools of tulle - they were half off, so $2.50 a spool. i probably could have just bought two, because i only used a partial amount of the third one, but i really wanted my wreath to be full. any leftover tulle is great for using on presents :)

cut the tulle in approximately 5 inch strips - give or take an inch. experiment and see what is to your liking.... you will have a huge pile when you are done.

then begin the mindless task of tying the tulle around each wire.




keep tying...

and tying....

and tying...


until...
ta da!

i cut a bigger piece of tulle and tied it onto the back top center to use as a hanger.

this one is pink, but there are lots of other tulle colors out there - even glitter tulle- oooooh.
my grand total, with tax, was $9.32... with tulle leftover for some presents :)
if you make one, let me know! i'd love to see it!

13 comments:

Angeleah said...

My girls would love to do this. How fun! Great idea and it turned out really cute!

Sant Family said...

How cute is that?! I love it! You have been getting your craft on!

Splendorfalls said...

Very pretty!!

Christina said...

That's a very cute wreath!

Leslie B. said...

Wow! And I saw you at Hobby Lobby while you were doing all that mental crafting! Great idea!

Happy Mom said...

LOVE it on your black door!!

Anonymous said...

Just wondering if you did double knots? It seems like single is ok but wasn't sure. I'm working on this now, love it!

elizabeth said...

anonymous... wish I knew who you were! Nope, no double knots, just single. Hope you enjoyed making the wreath :)

GoBoSox said...

so cute! I did you tie the tulle around all 3 wires of the wreath form or just the middle?

elizabeth said...

Yes, I tied around all 3 wires :)

Anonymous said...

Silly Q... By any chance do you recall how many ties you did in each section (between each bracket)??

elizabeth said...

Hi Siily Q :)
Sorry, I don't know how many knots. I just packed each section full. When I felt satisfied with the fullness, I moved on to the next section.

Julie said...

I finished the wreath and it's so pretty hanging over the mantel/mirror in our family room. Thank you for the tutorial!